Frequently Asked Questions

At what stage do I involve a builder?

Timing can vary with each person. Some people are willing to come up with a plan and design on their own before involving a builder, and others prefer to have a builder’s expertise from the start.

Involving a builder in the very early stage, it is usually a good idea, especially if you are building a new home. Building can sometimes present some complications and intricate details that a professional builder would be able to address. Contracting a builder at the early stage of your project will help reducing the cost of the overall build as well as the delivery time.

Will I need a building consent?

The majority of building work requires a building consent, apart from exempt work(see If you are building a new home, you will need building consent.

You will need plans drawn up prior to applying for building consent. When you involve a builder from the start, they can provide some clarity, recommendations based on your needs.

A builder like us may be able to prepare plans for you, or recommend someone local who will, depending on your requirements.

Do I need a licensed building practitioner (LBP)?
If your building project involves restricted work, you will need LBP to complete and supervise the work. Only a License Building Practitioner can carry out work involving the building structure and weather tightness. Restricted work is critical to the integrity of a building, for example, its envelope and structure. These changes were made to the Building Act 2004 and took effect on March 2012.
Do I need my builder to be a member of an association?

It is not essential but highly recommended. By using a member of the Master Builders Association, you ensure they are trade-qualified builders and have suitable references. You will be entitled to apply for the Master Builders 10 year Guarantee, which we can apply for on your behalf. Kennedy Building is a proud member of the Master Builders Association.